Ranked Canada’s Top Travel Destination by Travel + Leisure, Vancouver is a gorgeous, sophisticated city boasting natural beauty, big city experiences and diverse neighbourhoods. We love fresh air, adventure and fun! For runners, it is paradise.
Vancouver has a thriving running culture. Nearly every neighbourhood and suburb boasts run clubs and running trails for runners of all kinds. With Pacific Ocean and mountain views, beaches, and a stunning city skyline, Vancouver runners get the best of all worlds.
The BMO Vancouver Marathon showcases some of the best of these coveted Vancouver running routes, spanning 3 Parks, 6 Beaches and 12 Neighbourhoods. For visiting spectators, the course also features ‘hot spot’ locations for the best race views.
Vancouver is a world-class travel destination
Each year the BMO Vancouver Marathon welcomes destination runners, from as near as Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle and San Francisco, California, to Oregon, Texas, Colorado, New York, Arizona, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mexico, Japan, the United Kingdom, Germany, Hong Kong, China, Australia, Brazil, France and Spain. The event now annually welcomes runners from over 50 countries!
Home of the 2010 Olympic Games and TED Talks, Vancouver has racked up some noteworthy mentions. Here are some of the awards the city has won:
- Top Destination in Canada – TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice Awards (2016)
- Most Livable City in North America – Mercer Quality of Living Survey (2016)
- Best City in Canada – Condé Nast Traveler (2015)
- Canada’s Best Destination – Travel Weekly (2002 – 2015)
- World’s Best Food Cities – Condé Nast Traveler (2015)
- World’s Most Reputable Cities – Reputation Institute (2014)
- One of the World’s Most Liveable Cities – Economist Intelligence Unit (2014)
- World’s Healthiest Places to Live – Time Magazine (2014)
Hotel Specials and Race Savings
Save 50% on your Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon or 8KM registration when you first book a hotel room via Marathon.beVancouver.com. You may also book directly with our Marathon Weekend Host Hotel, the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel with this special event room rate.
Want further assistance? Consider our official Sport Tour Operators.
How to get here
Getting to and from Vancouver is about exploring and embracing a Westcoast adventure. Whether you arrive by ferry, bus, train or plane, you will be overcome with awe by the nature that serves as a backdrop to our breathtaking city.
Vancouver has direct flights to many locations internationally. We also welcome a large international field, with over 50 countries represented in 2016.
Here are some helpful links:
- Vancouver International Airport
- BC Ferries
- Greyhound intercity bus service
- Amtrak train service
- VIA Rail train service
- TransLink, Greater Vancouver’s transit service, includes convenient bus and Sky Train travel
- Aquabus ferry service can take you from downtown/Waterfront Station to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver
- Taxi service is readily available at the airport, train station, ferry terminals and major hotels.
To learn more about Vancouver, you may also visit Tourism Vancouver, one of Canada’s top Convention and Visitor Bureaus. Its focus is on building exceptional customer relationships through innovation, partnership, research and accountability. The BMO Vancouver Marathon and Vancouver International Marathon Society have similar values and goals, and are proud members of Tourism Vancouver.
Visiting Vancouver, BC, Canada from the USA?
Exchange Rate Savings
In January 2017, $1 US Dollar = $1.32 Canadian. That’s a great deal if you’re coming from the United States. Let your money go farther in Canada!
US Citizens Entering Canada
As of June 1, 2009, visitors from every country traveling to Canada by air, land or sea require a passport or equivalent travel document.
Vancouver’s only Marathon began in 1972.
Supported by the Province of B.C.