CHARITY PROGRAM: FEATURING CANUCK PLACE CHILDREN’S HOSPICE
More than $14.5 million dollars has been raised for charities at the BMO Vancouver Marathon through the non-profit Vancouver International Marathon Society’s Run4Hope program.
At Canuck Place Children’s Hospice, we make a difference for BC’s children and families. We provide critical care for children living with life-threatening illnesses and the families who love them in our two provincial locations and in their home communities, empowering them to celebrate each moment, build precious memories and manage the pain and symptoms of their illnesses and conditions. We also support the families who love them and provide the tools and resources they need to live in the moment together.
As British Columbia’s pediatric palliative care provider, we play an important role in the health care system. Not only do we provide end-of-life care, but we work with families throughout the entire span of a child’s life from the point of diagnosis through the progression of the illness. An expert team provides bereavement counselling, music, art, and play therapy, and recreation therapy activities, all in addition to much needed family and child respite, and 24-hour clinical care. Canuck Place is an integral partner in the journey of these children and families.
At Canuck Place, it’s about the little things.
- It’s about providing nourishing meals to families when they need it most – including freshly baked cookies.
- It’s the relief a mother feels after sleeping through the night for the first time knowing her daughter was being looked after by a specialized clinical team.
- It’s the recreation therapy team empowering a family to take all of their children skating, zip-lining, or kayaking.
- It’s our receptionist managing almost a hundred people over four days, mostly teenagers, coming in to say good-bye to their 18-year old friend, just days before she died.
- It’s about staff and volunteers working together to allow a child who uses a wheelchair to cannonball into a pool.
Organizations like the BMO Vancouver Marathon help Canuck Place Children’s Hospice take care of the details – both big and small. Your donation to Canuck Place ensures that high-quality pediatric palliative care continues to be delivered to the BC community – and so kids and their families can create moments that will be cherished for years to come.
Canuck Place Children’s Hospice is British Columbia’s pediatric palliative care provider since 1995.
Canuck Place Children’s Hospice directly supports our RUN4HOPE charity runners to help make your fundraising a success. RUN4HOPE charity runners will be contacted by Canuck Place with fundraising details soon after registration. Please join us in making a fundamental difference in the lives of children and the families who love them!