The non-profit Vancouver International Marathon Society RUNVAN® is known in the community for hosting sustainable events with a high waste diversion rate! With the help of Green Chair Staff and Volunteers, we look forward to putting on another green event at this year’s race, and kindly ask for your support.
Running a Marathon, Half Marathon or 8KM isn’t always a simple task, and sometimes it can be easy to forget the little things – like recycling. That’s why we’ve created a Runner’s Green Pledge with some key points and information to help remind you of how you can assist in keeping our city one of the greenest!
- Dispose of goods such as plastic bags, old clothing garments, gels, etc. in proximity of the water stations on course so that volunteers can sort and recycle appropriate items
- Throw your used cup as close to stations as possible
- Do not dispose of any items on bridges, along the Seawall, or close to the shoreline
- Use the clearly marked recycling stations, not City bins, at the Start and Finish Line
- Dispose of all recyclable food in recycling stations and garbage at green waste stations. For example, all juice boxes at the Finish can be recycled while the plastic straw and wrapper should go in a waste bin.
TravelSmart to the BMO Vancouver Marathon as well:
- Ride the Canada Line on race day, or take advantage of free shuttle options
- Use the free bike valet available for runners on race day
- Carpool with friends or family if you are driving to the event
The BMO Vancouver Marathon also does a street sweep of the Marathon and Half Marathon, helping the event achieve an overall diversion rate of 98%. Last year, as an example, 9,260 kg of materials were recycled – the equivalent of 1,148 bags of garbage were saved from landfill.