The non-profit Vancouver International Marathon Society is known in the community for hosting sustainable events with a high waste diversion rate. We look forward to putting on a green event at this year’s race, but need your support!
Running a Marathon, Half Marathon or 8KM isn’t always a simple task, and sometimes it can be easy to forget the little things – like recycling. That’s why we’ve created a Runner’s Green Pledge with some key points and information to help remind you of how you can assist in keeping our city one of the greenest!
- Dispose of goods such as plastic bags, old clothing garments, gels, etc. in proximity of the nearly 30 stations on course so that volunteers can sort and recycle appropriate items
- Throw your used cup as close to stations as possible
- Do not dispose of any items on bridges, along the Seawall, or close to the shoreline
- Use the clearly marked recycling stations-not City bins-at the Start and Finish Line
- Dispose of all recyclable post-race food in recycling stations and all garbage in the green waste stations. For example, all juice boxes at the Finish can be recycled while the plastic straw and wrapper must go in a waste bin.
- Travel smart to the BMO Vancouver Marathon through the following options:
- Ride the Canada Line on race day
- Take advantage of the free shuttle options to the Start Line from 4 Lower Mainland locations
- Use the free bike valet available for runners on race day
- Carpool with friends or family if you are driving to the event