The Vancouver International Marathon Society (“we”; the Society) is responsible for organizing the BMO Vancouver Marathon and other events and is committed to respecting the privacy and confidentiality of information provided by users of our web site, race registrants, and subscribers to our online newsletter and others that provide the society with personal information.
Collecting and using information
Why we collect personal information
The information we ask for allows us to organize, host and stage the BMO Vancouver Marathon and other events, to plan for future events, to provide service(s) to you, to publicize and promote the race and other events through various media, and to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable experience. Specifically, we may collect the following personal information for the following reasons:
- Name, gender and age: To identify you during an event and place you in an appropriate age category for the event.
- Contact information: to keep you informed with up-to-date and relevant information regarding our events, and/or our partner or community events and/or running or training Information; to contact you following our events if you have qualified for a prize or to provide you with additional information about our events or to offer you information about other products, services or activities related to our mission.
- Medical information: to assist us with the provision of medical assistance if necessary during our events.
When we release your information
We are not in the business of selling participant or customer lists or information to others. However, we may release your information to parties outside the society in certain circumstances, which include:
- In order to provide you with your race time or list it on our website and other records of race results
- Billing purposes
- In order to provide you with products or services
- When required or permitted by law
- When requested by anti-doping bodies
- For journalistic purposes
Refusing or withdrawing your consent
You are free to refuse or withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information at any time. You may do so by contacting the Society in writing. If you don’t want us to share information or contact you with information about the BMO Vancouver Marathon, or other Society events and activities including through our online newsletter, please advise us in writing.
We will protect your information with appropriate safeguards and security measures. We will retain your information only for the time it is required for the purposes we provided.
Ensuring information access and accuracy
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your information accurate and up-to-date. Upon your written request, we will give you access to the information we retain about you. We will make every reasonable effort to keep your information accurate and up-to-date.
Addressing your concerns
If you have any questions, concerns or problems about privacy, confidentiality or how a request for information was handled, please contact us in writing as indicated below and include your full name, address and telephone number.
- Mail: 1288 Vernon Drive, Vancouver, BC, V6A 4C9
- Fax: (604) 872-2903
- Email: [email protected]