2017 Race Details
The BMO Vancouver 8KM starts at 9:30am on Sunday, May 7, 2017. The Start Line is located inside Stanley Park on Lagoon Drive. (Note: This is a different Start Line than the Half Marathon, Relay and BMO Vancouver Marathon but you will share an energized downtown Finish Line with those other races.) Gear check and a shuttle bus to the Start Line is available from the Downtown Street Festival near Burrard and West Pender.
Note: Gear check and free shuttles to the 8KM Start Line depart from the Finish Line Street Festival near Burrard Street and West Cordova every 10 minutes from 7:30am-8:30am. There is no gear check at the 8KM Start. If you would like to utilize the complimentary gear check and shuttle services, please do so from Finish Line Street Festival near Burrard Street and West Cordova.
What is included with Registration
- Race bib with built-in timing chip
- Technical t-shirt
- Commemorative finisher’s medal
- On-course services including water, toilets, electrolyte, gels and medical
- Live entertainment on course!
- Exciting downtown Finish Line, with music, food, a Finish Line Street Festival, and more!
- Complimentary gear check and shuttle to the Start Line
- FREE Health, Sports & Lifestyle Expo
There will be no package pick-up on race day. Please pick-up your package within Expo Hours.
Thursday, May 4, 5pm-8pm
Friday, May 5, 11am-8pm
Saturday, May 6, 10am-6pm
Every runner is required to pick up their own Bib and runners package. Proxy pick up is not available.
You will need your bib number and your picture ID in order to pickup your package. Make sure to get everything you came for! Your race package includes Bib, Race Chip, short-sleeved Tech Shirt, and race goodies.
Digital clocks are positioned at the Start Line and Finish Line. Digital clocks are synced with the official Start Time but please note that digital clocks at the Finish Line will display “unofficial” finish times. “Official” finish times are unique to each individual runner’s chip, and therefore cannot be determined from looking at a digital clock.
Note: Corrals or groups of 8KM runners are released in intervals to ensure safe emergency access and to avoid congestion at stations. AIMS officials have ratified and sanctioned this event.
Public transportation is key to the success of the event. We do not provide parking for runners, but instead encourage you to take public transit.
8KM runners may take the free shuttle to the Start Line from the Finish Line Street Festival on Burrard Street near West Hastings. The shuttles will depart every 10 minutes from 7:30am-8:30am. Arrive early to experience the festive vibe and to avoid any unnecessary stress and anxiety.
Embrace the anticipation, trepidation and action! It’s all part of the journey.
Things to Remember
- All items must fit into a 21″ x 26″ bag (about the size of a medium garbage bag)
- Gear cannot be any more than 10 pounds and must fully fit inside the gear check bag (no luggage will be accepted).
On Race Day:
- Collect your clear plastic bag from Gear Check
- Place your items in the clear plastic bag
- Detach the 1×6 label from your bib
- Zip it to the bag so that it is easily visible.
- Once sealed, the bag can then be given to Gear Check volunteers.
At the end of your race, please make your way to the Gear Pick-up Area in the Street Festival. You will need to show your bib. No gear bags will be distributed without a bib. Bibs are a runner’s identification on race day and should not be destroyed, damaged, or discarded.
- After you finish, continue along Pender Street in the runners compound and proceed to the exit and gear-check on West Hastings St. near Burrard.
- Show your bib to the volunteer; your bib number matches the label that you attached to your gear.
- Any lost or left items must be claimed from the Information Tent at the Finish Line by 5:00pm on race day.
Please note the Start Line is located near Ceperley Playground on Lagoon Drive between the Fish House Restaurant and Pitch & Putt. A large blue archway is erected to signify the Start Line. This is a different start location than the Half Marathon, Relay and BMO Vancouver Marathon.
All three water stations on the 8KM course have water, Ultima Replenisher (electrolyte drink), toilets, and medical services.
Digital clocks are positioned at the Start Line and the Finish Line. Digital clocks at the Finish Line are synced with the start gun and therefore will display a runner’s “gun time” or unofficial finish time. A runner’s official finish time is the time between their crossing of the Start Line blue mat and the Finish Line blue mat, which is recorded by their bib timing chip. Distance markers will be positioned at each kilometre.
More music, more cheering, and more spectators! We add on-course entertainment to motivate, inspire, and entertain our runners. Watch for local musical groups, community cheer groups, dance groups, and thousands and thousands of spectators along the course on race day.
There will be different music groups/bands/musicians throughout the BMO Vancouver Marathon!
If you’re not running, come out to cheer on that special runner in your life!
Food is also provided to every runner at the Finish Line.
Cross the Finish Line in style. After all of your hard work, you’ll be congratulated by dozens of volunteers, receive your medal, have a photo opportunity, and enjoy some free water and delicious food. Next, head over to Gear Pick-up or make your way to the Street Festival on West Hastings Street to relax and celebrate with friends and family!
What you should know
- THE RUNNERS’ COMPOUND IS AVAILABLE TO RUNNERS, STAFF & MEDIA ONLY.
- KEEP MOVING FORWARD ONCE YOU CROSS THE FINISH LINE, YOU CAN MEET YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY AT THE STREET FESTIVAL ON HASTING ST.
- SPECTATORS CAN WATCH ON W PENDER ST (BEFORE THE FINISH LINE, BETWEEN GEORGIA AND BUTE STREETS)
- FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU AT STREET FESTIVAL ON HASTING ST.
- ONCE YOU PICK UP YOUR FINISHERS FOOD, YOU CAN EITHER PROCEED TO GEAR CHECK OR EXIT THE COMPOUND
- WE WILL NOT ALLOW RE-ENTRY TO THE COMPOUND ONCE YOU HAVE ENTERED THE STREET FESTIVAL
Sportstats West, our official timing company is providing a live tracking feature which posts social media updates! You can sign up to have your progress posted to your Facebook wall and/or Twitter feed, or have a friend sign up to follow you! The feature will track the runner’s chip to the timing mats on course and post updates with the runner’s location and time as they pass over the mats.
All winners will be recognized and first place finishers will be mailed their award after the race. Chip time, not gun time, will determine age group awards. Please seed yourself in the appropriate corrals.
For residents who live along the 8KM course and for those traveling to and from Vancouver on race day, please be aware that extensive street closures will take place around Vancouver on race day. In addition, No Parking Zones along the course will be enforced in the early morning hours on race day. Find more details on our road closures and FAQ pages.
Meet John Stanton on Saturday at the Denman Street Running Room store.
Get a few last minute tips from John Stanton. After, head out for a short
scenic fun run or walk to loosen up your legs and work out any last minute nervous energy. More info at Denman Running Room Store | Suite 103, 679 Denman Street | Vancouver, BC | ph: (604) 684-9771
We will allow individuals with a disability to be pushed in a race approved wheelchair in the Half Marathon only. Both participants must be registered; please contact [email protected] or call 604.872.2928 to register. Escorts will be required to have the wheelchair tethered to their body (arm, wrist or waist) to ensure the wheelchair does not leave their company for the duration of the event. The Vancouver International Marathon Society reserves the right at any time to revoke the privilege of these participants if a safety risk is determined.
Note: Details subject to change