2017 Race Details
The BMO Vancouver Half Marathon starts at 7:00am on Sunday, May 7, 2017, at Queen Elizabeth Park. The Start Line is located inside Queen Elizabeth Park on Midlothian Avenue near Hillcrest Community Centre.
What is included with registration
- Race bib with built-in timing chip
- Technical t-shirt
- Commemorative finisher’s medal
- On-course services including water, toilets, electrolyte, gels and medical
- Live entertainment along the Half Marathon course!
- Exciting downtown Finish Line, with music, food, a Finish Line Street Festival, and more!
- FREE Health, Sports & Lifestyle Expo
There will be no package pick-up on race day. Please pick-up your package within Expo Hours.
Expo/Package Pickup Location and Times: TBD
Every runner is required to pick up their own Bib and runners package. Proxy pick up is not available.
You will need your bib number and your picture ID in order to pickup your package. Make sure to get everything you came for! Your race package includes Bib, Race Chip, short-sleeved Tech Shirt, and race goodies.
Express Check In for Platinum Runners
Platinum Runners have access to an express pickup line at the Health, Sports & Lifestyle Expo. Look for the special entrance marked Platinum Runners. Please bring your bib number and photo ID.
Both male and female runners are automatically entered into the following competitive age groups: under 19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70-74; 75-79; 80-84; 85-89; 90-94; 95-99; 100 and above.
All winners will be recognized and first place finishers will be mailed their award after the race. Chip time, not gun time, will determine age group awards. Please seed yourself in the appropriate corrals.
Start Line schedule subject to change:
- 06:00am: Arrive early to experience the Start Line vibe. Get your picture taken!
- 06:00am-06:15am: Half Marathon Gear Check near Ontario Street and 33rd Ave.
- 06:15am-06:30am: Find your corral!
- 06:45am: Warm-up Show with music and entertainment!
- 07.00am: Race begins! First corral runners leave; subsequent corrals to follow.
- 11:00am: Half Marathon course closes
Things to remember
- Please arrive at least one hour before your race starts if you want to check your gear.
- We encourage all participants to arrive at least 45 minutes early.
- Washrooms are available at the Start Line.
- The Start Line is equipped with: toilets, Gear Check, water, a medical tent, and and electrolyte drink.
Please note: the Hillcrest Community Centre washroom, changing, and dining facilities are NOT available to participants. Thank you for respecting Hillcrest Community Centre staff and members.
Public transportation is key to the success of the event. We do not provide parking for runners, but instead encourage you to take public transit.
Traveling to the Start Line is easiest with Canada Line. Take the Canada Line from Downtown Vancouver (southbound) or from Richmond (northbound) and get off at King Edward or Oakridge-41st stations. From either station, you will walk to the Start Line; this takes about 15 minutes and volunteers will be there to guide you to the Runners’ Compound.
For more information on public transportation in Vancouver, please visit the Translink website.
If you need to be dropped off near the Start Line, we recommend Main Street, near East 30th Avenue. Please make sure to give yourself lots of time to walk to the Start Line – at least ten extra minutes. Expect delays and lots of traffic, but try to embrace the anticipation and action as it’s all part of the journey!
If you plan to check your gear at the Start Line, please arrive at least 1 hour prior to your race.
Gear Check Location: UPS trucks located by Ontario St. and 33rd Avenue.
Half Marathon Gear check closes at 6:45am.
- Collect your clear plastic bag from Gear Check at the Start Line
- Put your gear into the provided 21 x 26 clear plastic bag
- Detach the label from your race bib and zip it to the bag
- Bring your bag to the Gear Check counter
- After you finish, continue along Pender in the runners compound to the Gear Check Pickup Area on W Pender Street near Burrard St.
- Show your bib to the volunteer; your bib number matches the label that you attached your gear.
- Any lost or left items must be claimed from the Information Tent at the Finish Line by 5:00pm on race day
Here’s how it works:
Your corral is assigned to you according to your Estimated Finish Time, which you were asked to provide as part of your registration process. (An Estimated Finish Time calculator is available here).
After picking up your bib during Expo hours prior to Race Day, you’ll see that the colour along the bottom edge of your bib which corresponds to the colour of your corral. Once you are assigned to a corral you may not switch to another.
After all of your hard work, you’ll be congratulated by dozen of volunteers, receive your medal, and enjoy some free water and delicious food. Next, head over to Gear Checkout or make your way to the Street Festival on West Hastings Street to relax and celebrate with your friends and family!
What you should know
- THE RUNNERS’ CHUTE IS AVAILABLE TO RUNNERS, STAFF & MEDIA ONLY.
- KEEP MOVING FORWARD ONCE YOU CROSS THE FINISH LINE, YOU CAN MEET YOUR FRIENDS & FAMILY AT THE STREET FESTIVAL ON HASTING ST.
- SPECTATORS CAN WATCH ON W PENDER ST (BEFORE THE FINISH LINE)
- FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU AT STREET FESTIVAL ON HASTING ST.
- ONCE YOU PICK YOUR FITFUL BOX, YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO PICK YOUR BELONGING OR EXIT.
- WE WILL NOT ALLOW RE-ENTRY ONCE YOU HAVE ENTERED THE STREET FESTIVAL
Sportstats West, our official timing company is providing a live tracking feature which posts social media updates for Marathon and Half Marathoners! You can sign up to have your progress posted to your Facebook wall and/or Twitter feed, or have a friend sign up to follow you! The feature will track the runner’s chip to the timing mats on course and post updates with the runner’s location and time as they pass over the mats.
Check back soon to post updates to your Twitter or Facebook page!
There will be different music groups/bands/musicians on the course!
Represent your neighbourhood! We expect over 90,000 spectators at this year’s race, so grab your sign, and come out to cheer!
Meet John Stanton on the day before the race for a fun run that will stretch your legs and relax you before your big race! Meet your pace bunny and get a few last minute tips from John Stanton. After, head out for a short
scenic fun run or walk to loosen up your legs and work out any last minute nervous energy.
More info at Denman Running Room Store | Suite 103, 679 Denman Street | Vancouver, BC |ph: (604) 684-9771
20 and 25 years Legacy Club Runners will have priority access for package pickup. You can find more details and a list of the Legacy Runners here
Consequently, the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon has an event time requirement of 4 hours. Participants must maintain an 10-minute per kilometre pace (approximately) and complete the half marathon distance — Start Line to Finish Line — within the four-hour event time requirement.
If you or someone you know lives along the Half Marathon course, or if you are traveling to and from Vancouver for the event, please be aware that extensive street closures will take place on Race Day. Further, “No Parking” zones along the course will be enforced in the early morning hours on Race Day.
Digital clocks are positioned at the Start Line, Halfway Point, and Finish Line. Digital clocks are synced with the official Start Time but please note that digital clocks at the Finish Line will display “unofficial” finish times – “official” finish times are unique to each individual runner’s chip, and therefore cannot be determined from looking at a digital clock.
Note: Corrals or groups of Half Marathon runners are released in intervals to ensure safe emergency access to Vancouver’s major hospital and to avoid congestion at stations. AIMS officials have ratified and sanctioned this event.
We will allow individuals with a disability to be pushed in a race approved wheelchair in the Half Marathon only. Both participants must be registered; please contact [email protected] or call 604.872.2928 to register. Escorts will be required to have the wheelchair tethered to their body (arm, wrist or waist) to ensure the wheelchair does not leave their company for the duration of the event. The Vancouver International Marathon Society reserves the right at any time to revoke the privilege of these participants if a safety risk is determined.
All wheelchair participants must submit a picture of their race wheelchair for approval. Please email [email protected] For all sub 50 minute wheelchair participants in the Half Marathon, you may be forced to slow your pace if the course representative from AIMS/BC Athletics/BC Wheelchair determines there is a road safety issue.
Note: Details subject to change