Experience one of the World’s Top Destination Marathons
Plan your vacation to Vancouver, BC, Canada, and join us in 2016 for the event’s 45th anniversary! Renowned for its unique scenic views of snow-capped mountains and shorelines, the BMO Vancouver Marathon is recognized by Forbes, CNN, USA Today and others as one of the top destination marathons anywhere in the World. Experience ‘Stunning + Running’ at this award-winning marathon event that will welcome runners from over 45 countries this year! Join in at the free Expo: April 28-30 and on Race Day: May 1, 2016
Save Big on Canada’s Most Scenic Running Event
Make a special experience out of your race weekend. Book your hotel with Marathon.beVancouver.com and you save 50% off your 2016 Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon or 8KM registration! There are 36 Vancouver Hotel Destination Association (VHDA) member hotels to choose from!
To receive this special limited-time offer, simply:
- Book your downtown hotel through Marathon.beVancouver.com
- Receive a unique promo code in your email booking confirmation
- Enter your promo code on the registration page bmovanmarathon.ca/register-now
Already registered for the race? Book now through Marathon.beVancouver.com and email your hotel receipt to [email protected] to be reimbursed 50% off* your 2016 BMO Vancouver Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon or 8KM race registration (*less a 5% admin reimbursement fee).
Or book your stay at our 2016 Race Weekend Host Hotel, the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel, with this special event room rate.
Great hotel choices for your stay
Be sure to relax pre and post race in your downtown hotel, and explore all that Vancouver has to offer. Ranked Canada’s Top Travel Destination by Travel + Leisure, Vancouver is a gorgeous, sophisticated city boasting of natural beauty and big city experiences.
Save 50% on your race registration when you first book a hotel room via Marathon.beVancouver.com. You may also book directly with our Marathon Weekend Host Hotel, the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel with this special event room rate or utilize our official Sport Tour Operators.
Book your hotel with Marathon.beVancouver.com and you save 50% off your 2016 Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon and 8KM registration! There are 36 Vancouver Hotel Destination Association (VHDA) member hotels to choose from! Make a special experience out of your race weekend.
Please note that the 50% discount offer is valid for 1 race registration per booking.
How far from the Finish Line?
- Coast Coal Harbour Hotel (0m – host hotel) 4
- Loden Hotel (250m) 5
- Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel (250m) 4
- Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel (300m) 4
- Shangri-La Hotel (400m) 5
- Hyatt Regency Vancouver (500m) 4
- Fairmont Pacific Rim (500m) 5
- Days Inn – Vancouver Downtown (500m) 4
- Executive Hotel LeSoleil (600m) 4
- The Listel Hotel (700m) 4
- Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver (750m) 5
- Empire Landmark Vancouver Hotel (750m) 3
- The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel (750m) 5
- The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver (800m) 5
- Rosewood Hotel Georgia (800m) 5
- The Westin Bayshore Vancouver (850m) 4
- The Sutton Place Hotel (900m) 5
- Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver (900m) 3
- Delta Vancouver Suites (900m) 4
- Wedgewood Hotel and Spa (1000m) 5
- The Burrard (1.3km) 3
- Comfort Inn Downtown (1.5km) 3
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown Vancouver (1.5km) 4
- Sandman Hotel Vancouver City Centre (1.5km) 3
- Sandman Suites on Davie – Vancouver (1.2km) 3
- Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel (1.2km) 4
- The Westin Grand Vancouver (1.4km) 4
- YWCA Hotel (1.6km) 3
- Coast Plaza Hotel & Suites (1.6km) 4
- Residence Inn by Marriott – Vancouver (1.6km) 4
- Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown Vancouver (1.7km) 4
- Executive Hotel Vintage Park (1.9km) 4
- Best Western Plus Downtown Vancouver (1.9km) 3
- The Sylvia Hotel (1.9km) 4
- Opus Hotel Vancouver (2.1km) 4
Race Weekend Host Hotel
The Coast Coal Harbour Hotel has returned as the 2016 Race Weekend Host Hotel. The hotel is located right at the marathon’s Finish Line and features 220 modern, fresh non-smoking guest rooms.
With direct access to the 22 km Vancouver Seawall, as well as the world-famous Stanley Park, the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel is perfectly located to provide guests ample options for pre and post race runs. Guest rooms offer cityscape views, sleek, yet comfortable décor along with floor to ceiling windows allowing the light to stream in. Additionally, each room has a window that opens to allow in fresh air. These features provide a perfect environment to relax in. Amenities include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, outdoor pool and whirlpool, 24 hour fitness centre. Guests may also dine and unwind at Preston Restaurant + Lounge, featuring a taste of local and refreshing menu options. Within walking distance from the hotel are the historic Gastown, Robson Street shopping district and access to rapid train transit which takes you to the Vancouver International Airport in 25 minutes from Downtown Vancouver.
BMO Vancouver Marathon Runners and guests receive special guest room rates starting at $219, per night, plus applicable taxes and fees.
Two night minimum stay with full payment due at time of booking. Guests may reserve the BMO Vancouver Marathon rate at Coast Coal Harbour Hotel by clicking the link below, or call our reservation’s toll-free number at 1-800-663-1144.
Award Winning Marathon
The BMO Vancouver Marathon has been ranked one of the top travel destination marathons in the world by Forbes, CNN, USA Today and others. Here’s a look at some of our recent accolades:
- Canada’s Gold Label Races ‘perfect destination race vacations’- Canadian Running Magazine (2015) “One of the top destination marathons anywhere in the world, the BMO Vancouver Marathon is famous for its beautiful course,” writes Canadian Running Magazine. “The half and the marathon take in the most spectacular of Vancouver’s running routes.. and, perhaps the most stunning final 10KM of any marathon, along Stanley Park’s Seawall.”
- 100% Race Rating – Impact Magazine (2015) Received a perfect 100% race rating from runners and named one of the Top 3 Races in BC. Impact Magazine adds “Superb support from the crowd and volunteers.”
- The World’s 10 Best Half Marathons – The Active Times (2015) The article writes “This 13.1-mile race landed a spot on our list thanks to the breathtaking natural scenery..”
- Top 10 Marathons Worth Traveling For – Forbes Magazine (2014) The global media source acknowledged the diverse, scenic route of the BMO Vancouver Marathon which includes snow-capped mountain views, cherry blossom trees, and 70% course shoreline.
- Best Marathon in Western Canada – Get Out There Magazine (2014) BMO Vancouver Marathon was recognized as the Best Marathon in Western Canada in Get Out There Magazine’s 10th annual Readers’ Choice Awards.
- 14 spring races all runners should try – USA Today (2014) “The epitome of a truly superb spring race, runners flock to Vancouver each May to run a perfectly picturesque course,” shares the established publication, USA Today.
- Run the world: Runner’s guide to the Most Exotic Marathons – CNN Travel (2013) Ranked one of the World’s Most Exotic Marathons, the publication states “It’s worth running simply to take in Vancouver’s scenery.”
- Top 10 Marathons Worth Traveling For – Forbes Magazine (2012) With the debut of a new course in 2012, Vancouver made the list alongside elite races including marathons in Boston, London and Paris.
- Best Marathon in Western Canada – Get Out There Magazine (2012) Voted as the Best Marathon in Western Canada beating out all other marathons in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
Canada’s Top Destination Race
Stunning + Running
Vancouver is a world-class travel destination. Here are some of the awards the city has won:
- Top Travel Destination in Canada – Travel + Leisure (2014) Vancouver scored title as best city in Canada and sixth best in North America. The definitive publication for destination and travel info evaluates its annual ‘World’s Best Awards’ worldwide based on five characteristics, including sights/landmarks, culture/arts, restaurants/food, people and value.
- Best Destination in Canada – Travel Weekly (2014) Voted ‘Best Destination in Canada’ in Travel Weekly’s annual “Reader’s Best” awards.
- North America’s Greenest City – Global Green Economy Index (2014) Vancouver was named among the top greenest cities in the world – fourth overall, and the only city in North America to land in the top five.
- World’s Healthiest Places to Live – Time Magazine (2014) Time Magazine named Vancouver among the world’s healthiest cities, indicating that “it’s hard to beat Vancouver” when it comes to healthy lifestyles.
- Stanley Park: Top Park in the World – TripAdvisor (2014) In its Travellers’ Choice Awards, Stanley Park was cited as the world’s best for its “mini-forest, beautiful gardens, totem poles and scenic walkways.”
- Top 10 Beach Cities – National Geographic Magazine (2013) Vancouver was named alongside Sydney, Honolulu, Barcelona, Rio, Nice, Cape Town, Miami, Tel Aviv and Santa Monica as one of the Top 10 Beach Cities in the World.
Welcome to Vancouver and the BMO Vancouver Marathon, an internationally recognized event – named one of the World’s top destination marathons by the likes of Forbes, CNN and USA Today.
Ranked Canada’s Top Travel Destination by Travel + Leisure, Vancouver is a gorgeous, sophisticated city boasting natural beauty, big city experiences and diverse neighbourhoods. We love fresh air, adventure and fun! For runners, it is paradise.
Vancouver has a thriving running culture. Nearly every neighbourhood and suburb boasts run clubs and running trails for runners of all kinds. With Pacific Ocean and mountain views, beaches, and a stunning city skyline, Vancouver runners get the best of all worlds.
The BMO Vancouver Marathon showcases some of the best of these coveted Vancouver running routes, spanning 3 Parks, 6 Beaches and 12 Neighbourhoods. For visiting spectators, the course also features ‘hot spot’ locations for the best race views.
Vancouver is a world-class travel destination
Each year the BMO Vancouver Marathon welcomes destination runners, from as near as Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle and San Francisco, California, to Oregon, Texas, Colorado, New York, Arizona, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mexico, Japan, the United Kingdom, Germany, Hong Kong, China, Australia, Brazil, France and Spain. In 2015, runners from over 50 countries signed up to participate in the BMO Vancouver Marathon!
Home of the 2010 Olympic Games and TED Talks, Vancouver has racked up some noteworthy mentions.
Here are some of the awards the city has won:
- North America’s Greenest City – Global Green Economy Index (2014)
- Top Travel Destination in Canada – Travel + Leisure (2014)
- Best Destination in Canada – Travel Weekly (2014)
- Stanley Park: Top Park in the World – TripAdvisor (2014)
- Top 10 Beach Cities – National Geographic Magazine (2013)
How to get here
To and from Vancouver
Getting to and from Vancouver is about exploring and embracing a Westcoast adventure. Whether you arrive by ferry, bus, train or plane, you will be overcome with awe by the nature that serves as a backdrop to our breathtaking city. And just wait until you hit the pavement…
Vancouver has direct flights to many locations internationally. We also welcome a large international field, with over 50 countries represented in 2015.
Here are some helpful links:
- Vancouver International Airport
- BC Ferries
- Greyhound intercity bus service
- Amtrak train service
- VIA Rail train service
- TransLink, Greater Vancouver’s transit service, includes convenient bus and Sky Train travel
- Aquabus ferry service can take you from downtown/Waterfront Station to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver
- Taxi service is readily available at the airport, train station, ferry terminals and major hotels.
To learn more about Vancouver, you may also visit Tourism Vancouver, one of Canada’s top Convention and Visitor Bureaus. Its focus is on building exceptional customer relationships through innovation, partnership, research and accountability. The BMO Vancouver Marathon and Vancouver International Marathon Society have similar values and goals, and are proud members of Tourism Vancouver.
Award Winning, BMO Vancouver Marathon
Aside from the travel reasons to visit Vancouver, BC, come for the race and experience Vancouver’s only marathon!
- 100% Race Rating – Impact Magazine (2015)
- The World’s 10 Best Half Marathons – The Active Times (2015)
- Top 10 Marathons Worth Traveling For – Forbes Magazine (2014)
- Best Marathon in Western Canada – Get Out There Magazine (2014)
- 14 spring races all runners should try – USA Today (2014)
- Run the world: Guide to the Most Exotic Marathons – CNN Travel (2013)
- Top 10 Marathons Worth Traveling For – Forbes Magazine (2012)
- Best Marathon in Western Canada – Get Out There Magazine (2012)
Canada’s Top Destination Race
Three Parks. Six Beaches. Twelve Neighbourhoods.
Visiting Vancouver, BC, Canada from the USA?
Exchange Rate Savings
In late April 2015, $1 US Dollar = $1.25 Canadian. That’s a great deal if you’re coming from the United States. Let your money go farther in Canada!
US Citizens Entering Canada
As of June 1, 2009, visitors from every country traveling to Canada by air, land or sea require a passport or equivalent travel document.
For US Citizens additional information is available at:
Canada Customs – General Information:
Canada Customs – Information for Visitors to Canada:
US Department of State
Department of Homeland Security
Border wait times:
Live USA-Canada Border Traffic Cameras (Lower Mainland British Columbia):
Sport Tour Operators
Sport Tour Operators
The BMO Vancouver Marathon also works with international tour groups that offer travel, accommodation and race entry packages for national and international participants. If you are looking for travel packages, consider using one of these Sport Tour Operators.