Here are some fun facts emphasizing the size of Vancouver’s only Marathon event, wholly organized by the local non-profit Vancouver International Marathon Society.
On Race Day, runners consume:
- 2,250 pounds of nutritional gels
- 31,000 liters of water
- 13,000 Bananas
- Runners will approximately cover a combined distance of 454,175KM this year - approximately 49 times across Canada (9,306KM)
- Since 1972, our runners have covered well over 6,000,000 kilometers - that’s about 8 times to the moon and back, or 150 times around the Earth!
- Since 1996, our RUN4HOPE charity runners have raised over $15 million for charity
- In 2017, the 100,000th Vancouver Marathon finisher crossed the Finish Line!
- 13,000 feet of fence is deployed, along with 365 toilets
- 90,000 spectators are estimated to line the streets
- 4,000 volunteers will contribute, representing nearly 16,000 person hours
- 195 traffic control personals, 135 VDP Members, and 150 Medical Team Members will also be out on Race Day
- The Cycle Team of 60 volunteers covers about 1,240KM on Race Day, and another 3,500KM during training - about 20 return trips to Whistler
RUN | CHEER | VOLUNTEER | PHOTOS | AWARDS | WHY THE BMO VANCOUVER MARATHON IS SPECIAL